If you are searching for how to make your computer faster for windows 10, this post is for you. As an IT executive many times I face a common question on how to make computer run faster?
Your PC is your personal entertainment and business hub. In new condition, computer performance is very good. But over time its performance slows down. And the question of how to get computer to run faster is arising. Which is quite normal.
If the computer becomes slow it hampers the work and the issue is very embarrassing.
- Why is my computer so slow?
- How do I clean up a slow computer?
- Does more memory make your computer faster?
- How can you increase your computer speed?
People keep on asking the same question and hence have been led to taking the initiative to speed up their systems. This is why I’m here.
Throughout some action, this situation aka slow computer can make it faster easily.
From this writing, you will gain complete access to find out why your PC gets into the slow condition and following my tips it works progressively and run as smoothly as it ran on the first day that you purchased it.
How to Get Computer Run Faster?
A new computer user or a less computer savvy person must seek professional help to overcome repetitive slow computer performance issues instead of trying traditional break-fix.
If you are not aware of the basic operating system specifications and workings, you still can miss a hidden point even in the well-described step-by-step procedure so as to find out how to make your computer run faster.
When you know the reason, it is quite easy to find out the solution. The interesting fact is the main reason behind the slow computer performance lies within the system itself.
In the next segment, we see a specific point and show the necessary action to make the computer fast.
Delete Temporary Files Windows 10
When we open any file, a temporary file is created to hold the information. After the main file closed temporary file still stays in the computer hard disc. Which gradually slow down computer performance.
We should clean/delete this type of temp file.
- Go to the Windows search box.
- Type temp and enter.
- Click Delete Temporary File.
- Click Temporary File.
- Select all the checkboxes.
The entire process will take 20-30 minutes and after completion, you might need to restart your computer.
- Go to Windows search box
- Type run and enter
- Type temp and enter
- Grant Access
- Select all files by pressing Ctrl+A and delete it. Some files are not deleted. Don’t bother. Skip it.
- Again open run and type prefetch
- Select all by pressing Ctrl+A and delete
- Open run and type tree
- Repeat this step more than 3 times.
Clean Junk File, Free Hard Disc Space
When a program running, it creates some junk file. It eats hard disc space. If you do not clean manually it consumes resources hiddenly or makes trouble other programs smooth running. By clean junk files, we can free up hard disc space.
- Go to This PC (Windows 10)
- Right-click on C: drive and select Properties
- Click the Disk Cleanup button and you’ll see a list of items that can be removed, including temporary files and more.
- Tick the categories you want to remove
- Click OK
Free Up Main Hard Drive (C: Drive)
When we download any file (audios, videos, docs, image, pdf file, etc) by default it saves on the C drive. With the time being, C drive becomes full of those downloaded files and hamper data processing systems.
You should manually delete or move those files from C drive to any other drive/portable storage device.
- Go to This PC
- Click on the Downloads (on the left in Computer/File Explorer). Here you can see all your downloaded files.
- First, check which file is really necessary. Move them to the portable device.
- Second, select all unnecessary files and delete them.
- Go and Right-click the Recycle Bin (On Desktop)
- Click Empty Recycle Bin. It will permanently remove the file.
Note: In segment Delete temporary files windows 10 step-1, if you select ‘Download’, you will see Downloads folder is empty. That means, no need to perform this step as it is already done.
Defrag your Hard Drive and Speed Up Computer’s Performance
Before doing defragmentation work one must have to know what is defragmentation and why do I need it?
When we save a file into a computer, not all are saved as the whole thing. Especially, a larger file is divided into small fragments and saved in different places. Usually, a file is fragmented when there are not enough places to save a single whole file. So that the entire disk space is consumed.
So what is the problem?
When needed to process that fragmented file, the hard disk head takes enough time to scan the entire platter to read the whole file. Because the fragmented file requires more time to read compared to the contiguous one, which directly affects computer running performance. So, you should defrag your hard drive and speed up computer’s performance
In the defragmentation process, all the divided files join together to make the file contiguous. Which reduce data processing time. And this is the answer to how to make your computer run faster by defragmenting the hard drive.
- Go the search bar on the taskbar
- Type defrag
- Select Defragment and Optimize Drives
- Select the disk drive you want to optimize
- Select the Optimize button
Kill Windows 10 Background Processes to Make your PC Run Quicker
In windows 10, many unused programs are running silently without our concern that hampers our current program’s working performance. Disabling that program can make computer run faster.
To do this follow the below steps.
- Right-click your taskbar
- Click Start Task Manager option (or press Ctrl+Shift+Escape to open it)
- On Windows10, Task Manager provides an upgraded interface. Applications that consume a large number of memory marks through color-codes
- Click the applications to sort the most resources killing applications and close them normally. If you can’t, click “End Task” to force it to close
Close System Tray Programs
Do you know, hiddenly many programs are run in the system tray or notification area? Normally, these applications or programs launch automatically at the time of PC startup but we can’t see it. They remain running and using CPU resources until you close or quite. These System Tray Programs hamper other application’s normal action which causes slow computer performance.
You can easily close System Tray Programs.
- Click the Up arrow icon near the time and date option in the taskbar. Here you can see all the hidden applications
- Right-click the application that running without your concern
Great. Unwanted hidden application is now closed and frees up resources that make my computer run faster
Disable Startup Programs in Windows
As we already mentioned background programs have a negative impact on PC’s running performance. In this segment, we show how to disable startup programs.
On Windows 10, it is easy to manage startup programs from the startup manager in the Task Manager.
- Right-click the taskbar
- Click Task Manager option (or press Ctrl+Shift+Escape to open it)
- Click over to the Startup tab
- Disable startup applications you don’t need
Windows will suggest to you which applications slow down your startup process.
Don’t Run Too Many Applications/Programs At a Time
It’s true we use a computer to perform a trillion of computing by operating multiple heavy programs at a time. Our objective is fast processing but our artificial intelligence has not that many capabilities. As a result, going to process too many task PC gets slow down.
- Try to avoid too many Programs at a time
- In Windows 10, all the programs that you open are kept minimize at the taskbar. There are 2 methods to close.
• 1st Method- Hover the mouse cursor on the program and click the X (close) mark to close.
• 2nd Method- Click to open the program that you want to close. Close the program by clicking on the red cross.
Uninstall/Remove Unused and Unnecessary Programs
I used two words- unused programs and unnecessary programs.
Sometimes we install programs just for test purposes, for curiosity or to customize desktop or something else. But, later forget to uninstall. Which is totally valueless. I mark them as unnecessary programs.
On the other hand, many times we install a program to serve a specific purpose. It makes sense for a certain time but after that, it won’t add any value to PC’s performance. These are the unused programs.
As an example, once I use the Canon printer. Now buy a new Epson printer and install its component to my PC. I forget to uninstall the Canon application that currently stays idle in the hard drive.
Both types of programs eat up computer resources and significantly slow down startup and processing time.
- Open the Start menu
- Click Control Panel
- Click Programs and Features
- You can see all the programs installed in the system
- Select the program you want to uninstall and click on it
- An “Uninstall” button shows up at the top of the pane
- Click Uninstall
- Hit Next
- After finishes, a “finish” button will appear. Hit it.
- Some programs (not all) required a reboot to completely removed the program from the system.
Don’t Open Too Many Browser Tabs
The browser tab is directly engaged in RAM. When you open too many tabs, RAM space will out of room for processing everything and slow down computer.
- To make your computer run faster close multiple tabs.
A clean Windows install can make computer faster. Before Reinstall Windows please make backup your important file. Because all the existing data will wipe from your hard drive. If any missing system file or any other problem makes a barrier to smooth windows operation a fresh windows installation makes PC faster.
Increase RAM capacity
Some program needs high RAM capacity. Before running any program think wisely whether the system has the capacity or not. Suppose, Adobe Photoshop CC suggest 8 GB ram, to smooth operation. Now if your PC did not meet the requirement obviously software runs but getting pc slow.
- Upgrade RAM capacity
- If you do graphics work, video editing uses a minimum of 8 GB RAM. If you use PC for normal entertainment and office work 4 GB is fair enough
- In Windows 10, I suggest a minimum 4 GB RAM
Replace the Hard Drive with a Solid State Drive
A traditional hard disk drive (HDD) is mostly used for storage devices. It accesses data through mechanical platters and a moving read/write head. HDD offers a lot of storage space at a low cost, but data processing time is high.
Where Solid State Drive (SSD) is the latest data storage technology. It processes data on instantly-accessible flash memory chips. Therefore they are notably faster. As an example, HDD takes almost 10 minutes to copy a 15 GB movie file whereas SSD takes around 1 minute.
Although, SSD is costly but, considering the performance it makes the computer run faster.
SSD mounting process is a little bit of a tech task. So I suggest you should definitely take help from the expert. Otherwise, getting trouble.
Thanks a lot for being with me. In this post, I try to show the core action that improves the PC’s performance. Besides many other steps that are relevant to this post. But, if you follow the above steps sequentially I think it will definitely improve computer processing speed.
Before leaving, I want to share the last but very very important point that most of the people overlap unconsciously.
Install Windows OS considering your PC’s configuration. According to Microsoft, Windows 10 system requirements are-
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor
- RAM: 2 GB for 64-bit
- Hard disk space: 20 GB for 64-bit OS
Yet it is the minimum specification, to get better performance I recommend at least:
- Processor: 2-GHz processor
- RAM: 4 GB of RAM
- Hard disk space: 100 GB
After reading this post if you get the answer of how to make your computer faster windows 10, don’t forget to share with your friends. Hope it will help them.